[imp] Type of LDAP server used

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Sep 28 07:08:33 PDT 2006

Zitat von Thierry Voyat <Thierry.Voyat at ac-amiens.fr>:

> Jan Schneider a écrit :
>> Zitat von Thierry Voyat <Thierry.Voyat at ac-amiens.fr>:

>>> I started with iPlanet Directory Server 4.15. that functioned without
>>> problems execpt the huge number of writings generated by Horde
>>>
>>> Migrating to Directory SUN JES2005 (Directory 5.2) was catastrophic (20
>>> secondes for each login and heavy load on my directory) and I had to
>>> migrate towards a base mysql
>>>
>>> I had the same behavior with Fedora Directoy Server 5.1 where the
>>> desactivation of the plugin "role" corrected the problem.
>>> SUN directory still cause a 20 seconds delay at connection.
>>>
>>> But beware, for an important load, LDAP is a bad choice (all the entries
>>> are written with each connection and LDAP is not made to write...)
>>
>> Excuse me?
>>
>> Jan.
>>

> LDAP is optimized for read access and write. A common urban legend ? no

Even not being an LDAP expert, I know this of course.

> Implementation of ldap in horde cause each connection with LDAP prefs
> backend to rewrite  all the préfs. ( 150 lignes of ldif just for
> impPrefs and hordePrefs see attachment) in my configuration with 2
> masters and 3 slaves  this behavior is unacceptable.

... and not the regular behaviour. Prefs are only written back to the
preference storage backend if they have changed. There are some
implicit prefs that are changed without the user's interaction, but
this still doesn't happen on every page request.
You either have found a bug, or something is wrong with your setup,
but I didn't hear from anyone else complaining that preference writes
are happening on each request.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/