[imp] Large attachments timing out.

Kevin Konowalec webadmin at ualberta.ca
Mon Nov 6 09:52:05 PST 2006

Hi Jan,

I removed that parameter and got the same results.  We set up 3
different machines and attempted to download a 14MB attachment on
each machine simultaneously.  Just before Firefox timed out at the 5
minute mark this is what top said:

load averages:  2.25,  1.42,
1.01                                                   10:44:51
72 processes:  3 running, 68 idle, 1 on processor
CPU states: 70.8% user,  0.0% nice, 28.5% system,  0.8% interrupt,
0.0% idle
Memory: Real: 363M/715M act/tot  Free: 1275M  Swap: 0K/4096M used/tot

   PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE    WAIT     TIME    CPU
COMMAND
11434 www       	61    	0   93M  101M  run     		 -	0:53      	33.40%
httpd
30307 www       	63    	0   84M   87M   run      		-       2:14
33.11% httpd
1475   www       	61    	0   73M   83M   run      		-       0:18
29.44% httpd

What's Imp doing that makes apache jump to over 100Mb resident??

Whatever it's doing it's taking a LONG time to do it.  2 users can
download a 14MB attachment simultaneously in about 3.5 mins.  3 users
will time out on IE and Firefox (safari must have a longer timeout).
It takes MUCH longer than downloading the message to the server and
then downloading from the server to the client should take.  On a
gigabit connection as we have that whole operation shouldn't take
more than 30 seconds.  Where's the overhead coming from?  Is there a
way to optimize this?