[imp] Upgrade from Horde 2 to 3, mysql performance problems.

Mark Keller mark at pdx.edu
Fri Nov 17 22:37:16 PST 2006

We just upgraded our installation from horde2/imp3 to horde3/imp4. We went
from ~4 million mysql queries a day to ~25 million. During peaks times of the
day the mysql server is totally bogged down, imp becomes very slow and almost
unusable. During slow times things are fine.

Any idea on what might be the problem? Is the new version that much more query
intense or did we just misconfigure something?

We use horde/imp/turba/ingo (latest versions). We have 4 dedicated web servers
(sunfire v20z/linux) and 1 dedicated mysql server (sunfire v240/solaris/4GB
RAM). We are running the disks from a SAN and I don't see I/O bottlenecks. I
have tuned the mysql server as much as I know how and have not helped
the problem much. We use mysql for session and prefs for all modules.

The load on mysql before the upgrade was ~1.5 during peak times and now it is
around 8-10.

Any help would be appreciated, before the users torch down our offices ;)
Seems like my only two options now are buy a big huge server or roll back to
the horde2/imp3 versions.

Thanks,

Mark Keller