[imp] filtering slowness problem

Jason Clifton jason at citydiesel.net
Sun Dec 10 14:49:48 PST 2006

I am using the latest cvs of imp and ingo, and also see this problem,
but for me things only really slow down when I try to filter with a
self-defined header, I also see some wierdness (unpredictable behavior
sometimes it works, sometimes not) when I try putting more than 1
condition with the Any of the following button checked, it seems most
of the time only the last rule gets applied in this case.

Quoting Tom Kwong <tom at ahsmart.com>:

> For some reasons, imp gets slower and slower.   Recently, it has
> been taking 50+ seconds just to login from Horde. I found that the
> problem came from filtering, i.e. if I disable both filtering
> options 1) apply filters upon login and 2) apply filters when inbox
> is displayed, then it's very fast.  I only have 10 or so filters
> that matches only the subject line and they all stop checking if the
> rule matches, and they only apply on unseen messages.  There are
> only 30 or so unseen messages in my Inbox so I can't understand why
> filtering takes so long.
>
> The top command shows imapd taking 90%+ cpu during the login
> process. Any idea?  Thanks advance for your help.
>
> Tom

Jason Clifton
City Diesel
www.citydiesel.net