[imp] POP3 authentification without folders

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Mar 9 19:32:58 UTC 2007

Quoting Tom Gottschalk <droptix at web.de>:

> When I authenticate against a POP3 mail account instead of IMAP, the
> user cannot
> see his folders. All folder buttons disappear. Some say POP3 accounts don't
> support folders but my Thunderbird and webmail solution show them.
> Where's the
> problem in Horde to do so and how can this be solved?

There is no problem in Horde.  POP3 does not support folders.  Period.
  If thunderbird is showing folders then it is keeping copies of
messages in the local client and showing these local message stores as
"virtual" folders.  We could technically do this in Horde by storing
messages on the web server via caching, but persistence would be an
issue (by definition, caches can be cleared at any time) and, most
importantly, no dev uses POP so if you want to see this you will have
to code it yourself.

michael