[imp] Fetchmail auto-poll

Chris Warren chris at dawgiestyle.com
Sat Apr 21 04:03:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 15:13 -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Chris Warren <chris at dawgiestyle.com>:
>
> > Does anybody know if it is possible to have Imp act more as a frontend for
> > fetchmail?
> > What I'm trying to do is set it up so that fetchmail will be run every
> > minute or 2, without having to log in to imp.  This is so that any other
> > imap client can be used and still have the mail retrieved from the remote
> > servers.
> >
> > I'm thinking it would be useful to have the module upload a .fetchmailrc
> > file to the user's home directory, and just run fetchmail from cron.
> >
> > Would this be possible?
>
> Sure, but it's not really part of IMP. Could be part of the
> vacation/.forward/ other account tools suite though.

Thanks for the reply, Chuck.  I've been searching forever, and I've only
found 1 reference to fetchmail in the sork archives, or any others for
that matter.  Apparently, somebody was developing a fetchmail frontend
for sork, but gave up when IMP included its fetchmail functionality.
I don't mean to get off the topic of IMP, but it would be great to see a
module like Ingo (with its ability to upload server-side filter files,
as well as use "on demand" filters), but geared toward fetchmail
and .fetchmailrc files.

I'm not very skilled with PHP, so the Horde framework is intimidating,
but if I was going to develop a seperate fetchmail module, I'd probably
start with Ingo.

Then again, maybe it would be easier to add a "backend" or "auto-poll"
option to IMP's fetchmail functions.

It would be great to hear from anyone who knows of a project that does
this, or who would be interested in and capable of helping to develop
one.

Chris