[imp] need advice on user interface (solution)

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 13 16:45:01 UTC 2007

Earlier today I said;
>I'm building a new web server for my department and I have to replace imp.
>On the old server, there is a redirect so that the root of the server goes
>to /horde/imp. In other words, if you just point your browser to the
>department server, you get the imp login screen -- which is something I
>don't like.

I did 2 things:

1. Created a cname webmail.mydomain.com and pointed it to the web server's
IP. Then I created a rewrite rule so that webmail.mydomain.com goes to
www.mydomain.com /horde3.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^webmail.mydomain.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/horde3/
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ https://www.mydomain.com/horde3/$1 [R,L]

2. Set the default application to be imp. (Note that I had already
configured horde3 to use imp for authentication.)

So now all I have to do is tell my end-users to point their browsers to
http://webmail.mydomain.com/ to get their mail. If they go to the old page,
they'll get something different but that alone will probably be enough to
remind them that the url for mail has changed. Other than that, everything
will be just as it has been.

Thanks to Patrick Boutilier and Darrell Cook for tips.