[imp] How to switch the charset of Horde DB ?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Jul 13 14:05:24 UTC 2007

Zitat von Tornoci Laszlo <torlasz at xenia.sote.hu>:

> Hi,
>
> we are planning a hw upgrade of our Horde/IMP system. I want to take
> this opportunity to switch the charset of the Horde MySQL database from
> latin2 to UTF8. However, I am not familiar with php. Can you give me a
> pointer or better yet, could someone put together a simple php script
> that converts the whole Horde database? I guess, I am not the only
> person, who wants to switch to UTF8.

This is not that easy and the reason I still haven't switched my
personal server and the horde.org servers to utf8 yet.

With MySQL you at least have ALTER TABLE CONVERT CHARSET, but this
doesn't work with serialized hashes. For these cases you would need a
script that gets the values from the database, unserializes them,
converts them to the new charset, serializes them, and writes them
back to the database.

I don't think it's even possible to change a table's or column's
charset in PostgreSQL on existing tables, but someone might correct me
if I'm wrong.

Anyway, such a script would be really great.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/