[imp] problem renaming MIX format folders (UW-IMAP)

Peter Ip ip at ariel.utcc.utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 2 18:22:24 UTC 2007

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>
> To: imp at lists.horde.org
> Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 22:47:33 -0400
> Subject: Re: [imp] problem renaming MIX format folders (UW-IMAP)
>
> Quoting Peter Ip <ip at ariel.utcc.utoronto.ca>:
>
>> I'm using IMP 4.1.4, Horde 3.1.4 with UW-IMAP. There's a problem with
>> renaming the new MIX format folders, especially the sent-mail folder done
>> automatically by the maintenance.
>>
>> Instead of being files the way unix format or MBX format folders are
>> in UW-IMAP, MIX format folders are actually UNIX directories with .mix*
>> files inside. MIX format folders can contain other folders (unlike UNIX or
>> MBX folders), so that may explain what IMP is trying to do.
>>
>> IMP runs:
>>
>> Rename sent/ sent-sep-2007/
>> Rename sent sent-sep-2007
>>
>> the first rename succeeds and the second fails.
>>
>> I can't figure out why the first rename happens at all. It seems to be
>> coming from code trying to rename subfolders inside the sent folder. But
>> there aren't any in this case.
>>
>> This is especially troublesome with the automatic maintenance rolling the
>> sent-mail folders because it leaves the user with no sent-mail folder.
>
> Does the folder list show expand/collapse buttons as though IMP thinks
> the folders have subfolders? Please file a bug at bugs.horde.org if
> there isn't a quick fix so this doesn't get lost.
>
> -chuck

Hi Chuck,

The folder list does not show expand/collapse buttons for the sent-mail
folder. That's because most users have just the one sent-mail folder
and no subfolders within it. But if you create a folder and then create
subfolders inside, then the folder list will show the expand/collapse
button. The rename of the parent folder will be even more problematic.

E.g. if folder 'a' has subfolder 'b' and I try renaming 'a' to 'c', I get:

Error  Renaming "a/b" to "a/b" failed. This is what the server said:
Error  Renaming "a/" to "a/" failed. This is what the server said:
Error  Renaming "a" to "a" failed. This is what the server said:

Notice that the new name does not contain 'c'.

I've submitted the bug.

Thanks for looking into this.

Peter

Peter Ip, PhD
Computing and Network Services, University of Toronto
email: peter.ip at utoronto.ca