[imp] Reply-quoted paragraphs from HTML-only messages have spurious indentation

Michael michael_2007 at bugmenot.com
Wed Jan 16 09:23:28 UTC 2008

>> Why does IMP operate in this inconsistent manner?  Is unalterable
>> insertion of foreign whitespace into quoted text in a subset of cases
>> truly desirable behaviour?

> this has nothing to do with quoting. The indention is added by the
> html-to-text converter.

Where else is this evident in IMP?  If the location in which it
manifests itself is exclusively in quoted text, then no matter where
the cause lies, it has to do with quoted text (as distinct from
"quoting")!  :-)

> To talk about working against established conventions, while we talk
>  about a message that had been html-only initially, is moot.

Why?  Surely two wrongs do not make a right?  The convention for
plain-text email is simple block paragraphs _without_ indented first
lines.  (As is the de facto convention for HTML paragraphs.)  Even if
we regard HTML-only email as an abomination (no argument there!), IMP
is formatting the plain-text, non-HTML replies in a manner
inconsistent with traditional plain-text, non-HTML email.

Surely IMP should strive to work within the established conventions
for composition of standards-compliant plain-text email replies?

Cheers
Michael