[imp] DIMP + safari?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Feb 22 17:00:34 UTC 2008

Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr at deathstar.org>:

>> It works okay for me (using the nearly identical HEAD, and the same
>> Safari/OSX combo). Try turning on Safari's Debug menu and checking the
>> javascript console, and also turning on DIMP's js debugging.
>>

> It says...
>
>     doActionComplete:  Maximum call stack size exceeded

Quick synopsis: in Safari 2, IIRC, it contained a limit of something
like 100 JS stack calls before it would bork out.  It is trivial to
get to 100 stack calls when using a OO-library like prototypejs, since
everything is wrapped inside of something else.  We had to disable
displaying things ondomload since the mechanism to handle it properly
required quite a bit of recursion, and this recursion would crash the
browser.  (all other browsers have stack limits into the 1000's)

If this indeed still the problem in Safari 3, and this is either not a
bug in our code or a misconfiguration, then Safari is useless as a
modern browser.  I don't know for sure because I can't test Safari 3
because it refuses to display any page after the login page because my
server is https (I think... the error message is less than helpful).
I will give Apple's marketing team credit though - it is the fastest
browser... to display an error message.

michael