[imp] Differences between multipart/mixed and multipart/alternative

sicilian ldalberti at mecnet.net
Sat Feb 23 20:01:31 UTC 2008

hi folks - I just recently started looking into an attachment issue that some
of
my clients have had for a while now; essentially, some of them would receive
emails
expecting an attachment but would never see the attached file; in fact,
there would
be no indication that there even was an attachment (no paper clip, Part(s):
is blank)
- except for going into "Message Source" and finding the file there.

after a little testing, I finally narrowed the problem down: emails received
with a
Content-Type of "multipart/alternative" for some reason will not display an
attachment or indicate that an attachment is there.

if I however change that Content-Type to "multipart/mixed" and nothing else,
it
displays fine, and this is something I can duplicate at will with a php mail
script
I wrote.

before I start digging too deeply into the code, does anyone have any
suggestions or
know of a fix?

I did look around here a little bit, but didn't come across anything
similar.

thanks.

-Len