[imp] DIMP + safari?

Liam Hoekenga liamr at deathstar.org
Mon Feb 25 21:36:45 UTC 2008

Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr at deathstar.org>:
>

>>> It works okay for me (using the nearly identical HEAD, and the same
>>> Safari/OSX combo). Try turning on Safari's Debug menu and checking the
>>> javascript console, and also turning on DIMP's js debugging.
>>>

>> It says...
>>
>>     doActionComplete:  Maximum call stack size exceeded
>>

> Quick synopsis: in Safari 2, IIRC, it contained a limit of something
> like 100 JS stack calls before it would bork out.  It is trivial to
> get to 100 stack calls when using a OO-library like prototypejs, since
> everything is wrapped inside of something else.  We had to disable
> displaying things ondomload since the mechanism to handle it properly
> required quite a bit of recursion, and this recursion would crash the
> browser.  (all other browsers have stack limits into the 1000's)
>
> If this indeed still the problem in Safari 3, and this is either not a
> bug in our code or a misconfiguration, then Safari is useless as a
> modern browser.  I don't know for sure because I can't test Safari 3
> because it refuses to display any page after the login page because my
> server is https (I think... the error message is less than helpful).
> I will give Apple's marketing team credit though - it is the fastest
> browser... to display an error message.

Looks like it /is/ still a problem...

    http://novemberborn.net/javascript/callstack-size

The stack size for safari is still 100.  As my coworker said, "I'll take
Opera for the win!"

So what do we do?  If someone tries to access DIMP in Safari, should
they get bumped to IMP with a message saying that technical constraints
prevented to Safari from working with the DIMP/

Liam