[imp] Mail clients and contact database lock-in

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.to
Wed Feb 27 13:21:21 UTC 2008

Hi list,

For the past six years I've been using IMP as my main mail client.
While others prefer to use dedicated GUI mail clients instead, I love
the fact that my client is the same everywhere and I'm never without
my complete and up to date contact list.

Nevertheless, I have more than a few users who have ended up using a
dedicated GUI mail client anyway. I can't help imagining, though, that
they might have remained a little more interested in IMP/Horde if they
could at least have continued to access -- or better yet, maintain --
their Turba contact list from within their favorite mail client. My
impression is that users who were once freed by IMAP/POP to use almost
any mail client they wanted, still end up using only one in the end
because of contact database lock-in. In the same way, even we IMP
users are, to a lesser degree, locked into our Horde databases where
the Turba contact information is stored.

I suppose it is possible to use LDAP to make Turba contact information
available elsewhere, but I hear that of the mail clients that do
include LDAP support, this is limited to email address lookup only. I
don't believe that implementing this would help very much to change
any minds.

Has the idea of making Turba contact information more available ever
been given any serious consideration? Is there, perhaps, a Thunderbird
plug-in that I haven't heard of yet? It would be interesting to hear
what other people have to say about this subject.

Cheers,

Jaap