[imp] Character encoding problem in Dimp (1.1RC-2)

hamina at dataseed.fi hamina at dataseed.fi
Thu Mar 6 19:33:11 UTC 2008

Lainaus Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

> Zitat von Timo Hamina <hamina at dataseed.fi>:
>
>> Jan Schneider kirjoitti:

>>> Do you see this in IMP too when using the HTML editor? If yes, then it
>>> has been fixed since RC2.
>>>
>>> Jan.
>>>

>> I tried sending html-message from imp too, and there it didn't happen.
>> Happens only in dimp with fckeditor.
>
> I can't reproduce this. I see a difference though: FCK converts
> non-ascii characters to html entities if possible, Xinha doesn't. But
> that doesn't matter because html entities are charset-neutral.

Yes those messages are ok if I view them as html-message, but if I
choose to view the message as plain text, those encoding problems
occurs.
This isn't a big problem since html part of the message displays
correctly, but obviously it is a little bug as the plain-text part is
in wrong charset.

>> P.S. If I input some non iso-8859-1 characters (for example euro sign,
>> EUR) to subject field in dimp, it gets shown as guestion mark  (?) in
>> any email client I view that message. Seems to be ok on imp, if I choose
>> utf-8 encoding for the message.
>
> This is because you can't (yet) select the sending charset in DIMP. It
> uses the default charset, like iso-8859-1 for Finish. But this charset
> doesn't contain the euro sign for example.

Ah ok, good to know it will have option to select sending charset (as in IMP).
> Jan.

Regards,
Timo