[imp] Character encoding problem in Dimp (1.1RC-2)

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Mar 6 18:16:16 UTC 2008

Zitat von Timo Hamina <hamina at dataseed.fi>:

> Jan Schneider kirjoitti:
>> Zitat von Timo Hamina <hamina at dataseed.fi>:
>>

>>> Hey,
>>> I have been testing Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 1.1-RC2 and noticed
>>> a character encoding problem when writing html-mail with FCKeditor as
>>> the message composer (it didn't happen with Xinha).
>>>
>>> The problem occurs if I view that html-message as plain text in my
>>> email-client (Thunderbird, Dimp etc.). Characters like öäå gets messed
>>> up as the there is:

>>> in the mime message. However, the message body seems to be encoded in
>>> utf-8 and that is why those characters gets messed up.
>>>
>>> Actually I checked FCkeditor and that page is in utf-8:
>>>
>>> So there seems to be a encoding mismatch between FCKeditor and Dimps
>>> "message builder".
>>>
>>> P.S. I haven't changed any options or settings, except that I use
>>> FCKeditor as the message composer.
>>>

>> Do you see this in IMP too when using the HTML editor? If yes, then it
>> has been fixed since RC2.
>>
>> Jan.
>>

> I tried sending html-message from imp too, and there it didn't happen.
> Happens only in dimp with fckeditor.

I can't reproduce this. I see a difference though: FCK converts
non-ascii characters to html entities if possible, Xinha doesn't. But
that doesn't matter because html entities are charset-neutral.

> P.S. If I input some non iso-8859-1 characters (for example euro sign,
> EUR) to subject field in dimp, it gets shown as guestion mark  (?) in
> any email client I view that message. Seems to be ok on imp, if I choose
> utf-8 encoding for the message.

This is because you can't (yet) select the sending charset in DIMP. It
uses the default charset, like iso-8859-1 for Finish. But this charset
doesn't contain the euro sign for example.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/