[imp] empty trash / empty spam / empty folder

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Fri Mar 7 18:12:52 UTC 2008

> IMP 4.2RC2 / HEAD I've noticed that the "empty ( trash | spam | folder )"
> icons only work properly for me if use_trash is turned on.  Otherwise, it
> marks them deleted and doesn't purge them (and you may need to refresh the
> mailbox to see if they've even been deleted).

I've been chatting with one of our developers and after following the code
path, and seeing how the behavior changes if use_trash is enabled, it
leaves me with the question..

What is the intention of "Empty Spam" and "Empty /folder/"?

Th action is called empty_mailbox.  The function it invokes is called
emptyMailbox.  The icons are respectively "empty folder", "empty spam" and
"empty trash".

If you use "Empty folder", you're asked "Are you sure you wish to /delete/
all mail in this folder?"

If you use "Empty spam", you're asked "Are you sure you wish to /empty/
your spam folder?"

The confirmation message for both actions is "Emptied all messages from
/foldername/".

My gut tells me that "empty folder" should mark messages as deleted *and*
expunge them.  My coworker was arguing the code shows evidence that you're
deliberately trying to leave the user an out if they've accidentally
confirmed a request for "empty folder", by only marking the messages as
deleted but not following with expunge.

What is then /intended/ activity of "empty folder"?

Liam