[imp] empty trash / empty spam / empty folder

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Mar 7 18:30:12 UTC 2008

Zitat von Liam Hoekenga <liamr at umich.edu>:

>> IMP 4.2RC2 / HEAD I've noticed that the "empty ( trash | spam | folder )"
>> icons only work properly for me if use_trash is turned on.  Otherwise, it
>> marks them deleted and doesn't purge them (and you may need to refresh the
>> mailbox to see if they've even been deleted).
>
> I've been chatting with one of our developers and after following the code
> path, and seeing how the behavior changes if use_trash is enabled, it
> leaves me with the question..
>
> What is the intention of "Empty Spam" and "Empty /folder/"?
>
> Th action is called empty_mailbox.  The function it invokes is called
> emptyMailbox.  The icons are respectively "empty folder", "empty spam" and
> "empty trash".
>
> If you use "Empty folder", you're asked "Are you sure you wish to /delete/
> all mail in this folder?"
>
> If you use "Empty spam", you're asked "Are you sure you wish to /empty/
> your spam folder?"
>
> The confirmation message for both actions is "Emptied all messages from
> /foldername/".
>
> My gut tells me that "empty folder" should mark messages as deleted *and*
> expunge them.  My coworker was arguing the code shows evidence that you're
> deliberately trying to leave the user an out if they've accidentally
> confirmed a request for "empty folder", by only marking the messages as
> deleted but not following with expunge.
>
> What is then /intended/ activity of "empty folder"?

The intended behavior it to act as if the user went through all folder
messages and deleted them manually. If he uses a trash folder, the
messages are moved there, otherwise marked as deleted. If he set in
his prefs to purge folders immediately, that should happen, otherwise
not.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/