[imp] IMP, Outlook and Hotmail

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Apr 22 04:00:37 UTC 2008

Quoting Graeme Wood <Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk>:

> I think the problem is this:

> I had the same problem until I disabled the User-Agent header from
> being inserted. hotmail seems to object to it and discards mail if
> this is set. Of course, there is no warning that this is happening and
> nothing gets put in your spam folder, it just disappears. Try
> commenting out the User-Agent addHeader statement in lib/Horde/MIME/
> Headers.php and see if that cures it.

This isn't true.  I can send e-mails all day to a hotmail test account
from IMP and they are not dropped for me.

>> When I send a mail from outlook to hotmail address, mail is sent
>> through my server (elaying is OK since I’m AUTHentified) and I
>> receive it in my hotmail mailbox
>> ⇒ No DNS, postfix configuration… problem from my server or address
>> When I send a mail from IMP to hotmail address, mail is silently
>> discarded.
>> When I send a mail from hotmail -> my address and reply to this mail
>> from IMP, I receive it in my hotmail mailbox
>> ⇒ I think problem is the way IMP forges e-mails (headers ?)
>> I ***know*** this is a problem from hotmail, not from horde/IMP nor
>> my configuration.
>> But today, hotmail is a « de facto » standard…So, if anyone want
>> to have a look on this, here are the infos

Hotmail is not a "de facto" standard for mail transfer.  This
statement makes no sense.  Hotmail is a MUA not a MTA.  Obviously, the
hotmail site is using MTA's to deliver the mail, but the issue is not
with the hotmail software but rather the SMTP agent.

>> And finally, a mail sent from somewhere else using squirrel web mail
>> and arrived in my hotmail mailbox (CC myself to show you source) :

[snip]

Have to laugh at this one because *this* message is broken.  8bit
transfer encoding is not allowed by RFC.

michael