[imp] IMP, Outlook and Hotmail

Tue Apr 22 08:08:19 UTC 2008

> Quoting Graeme Wood <Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk>:
>
>> I think the problem is this:

>> I had the same problem until I disabled the User-Agent header from
>> being inserted. hotmail seems to object to it and discards mail if
>> this is set. Of course, there is no warning that this is happening and
>> nothing gets put in your spam folder, it just disappears. Try
>> commenting out the User-Agent addHeader statement in lib/Horde/MIME/
>> Headers.php and see if that cures it.
>
> This isn't true.  I can send e-mails all day to a hotmail test account
> from IMP and they are not dropped for me.

Hotmail is "famous" for dropping random mail from all kind of sources
for non obvious reasons. In fact we have today a user complaining that
different Hotmail users don't get e-mail which have been sent from our
company network and were accepted by Hotmail.
There are many cases like this discussed on the MTA mailing lists.

>>> When I send a mail from outlook to hotmail address, mail is sent
>>> through my server (elaying is OK since I’m AUTHentified) and I
>>> receive it in my hotmail mailbox
>>> ⇒ No DNS, postfix configuration… problem from my server or address
>>> When I send a mail from IMP to hotmail address, mail is silently
>>> discarded.
>>> When I send a mail from hotmail -> my address and reply to this mail
>>> from IMP, I receive it in my hotmail mailbox
>>> ⇒ I think problem is the way IMP forges e-mails (headers ?)
>>> I ***know*** this is a problem from hotmail, not from horde/IMP nor
>>> my configuration.
>>> But today, hotmail is a « de facto » standard…So, if anyone want
>>> to have a look on this, here are the infos
>
> Hotmail is not a "de facto" standard for mail transfer.  This
> statement makes no sense.  Hotmail is a MUA not a MTA.  Obviously, the
> hotmail site is using MTA's to deliver the mail, but the issue is not
> with the hotmail software but rather the SMTP agent.

Hotmail is "Schrottmail" eg. utterly crap. No one who care for the
e-mail they get will use Hotmail and the number of people using it
decline from day to day.

So maybe cutting out the header will get the mail through today but
not tomorrow and maybe it will have no affect at all.

Regards

Andreas

--
All your trash belong to us ;-)  www.spamschlucker.org