[imp] IMP, Outlook and Hotmail

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Apr 22 18:04:45 UTC 2008

Quoting Graeme Wood <Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk>:

> On 22 Apr 2008, at 05:00, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>
>> Quoting Graeme Wood <Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk>:
>>
>>> I think the problem is this:

>>> I had the same problem until I disabled the User-Agent header from
>>> being inserted. hotmail seems to object to it and discards mail if
>>> this is set. Of course, there is no warning that this is happening and
>>> nothing gets put in your spam folder, it just disappears. Try
>>> commenting out the User-Agent addHeader statement in lib/Horde/MIME/
>>> Headers.php and see if that cures it.
>>
>> This isn't true.  I can send e-mails all day to a hotmail test account
>> from IMP and they are not dropped for me.
>>

> I'm sorry but how can you say whether my experience is true or not? I
> can assure you that all mail sent via IMP from our servers to hotmail
> was being silently binned until I removed that header.

This doesn't prove anything though.  A valid reason might be that
someone from your domain using IMP has spammed hotmail in the past,
hotmail is using some kind of bayesian spam blocking, and removing the
User-Agent header just happened to alter the header signature enough
that it wasn't marked as spam.  (In fact, this hypothetical would
agree with the fact that some people can send to hotmail and some
can't).

michael