[imp] Character Encoding Problem

Pablo Guaza Peces pablo.guaza at uam.es
Wed Apr 30 14:52:03 UTC 2008

Hi!
Thanks for answering so fast!

You've given me the right path to solve this problem. I've send the same
mail changing the wrong encoded character via SMTP to myself and it
wroked fine. I've talked to the Request Tracker administrator and he's
going to correct that character.

Thank you so much!

Otto Stolz wrote:
> Hello Pablo Guaza Peces,
>
> you have written:
>> In my company we work with Request Tracker (RT), an application to
>> manage tasks commonly by a community of users. This application sends
>> email with an ISO enconding in the "From:" field if it contains
>> accents. This is an example of the mail header sent by this application:
>> Subject:
>>    =?iso-8859-1?Q?[TI_=23272579]_probando_acentos_=E1_=E9_=ED_=F3_=FA?=
>> From: "=?ISO-8859-1?B?TWVyY2VkZXMgR2lt6W5leiBCYXJyaW8=?= v�a GI-TI"
>> <cau at uam.es>*
>
>> My problem is that this email is shown in the IMP Inbox with the
>> "From:" field just as I wrote it here, not decoded. The weird thing
>> is that if you access the mail content clicking on it, it is written
>> decoded, that is, as it should be.
>
> The name of the sender is encoded correctly w.r.t. RFC 2047 in connection
> with RFC 2045, section 6.8; however the word “via”, as you have
> related it
> to the list, contains a wrong encoding (I am not sure what it is, as your
> message is base64 transfer-encoded, which I was too lazy to disentangle).
>
> I've sent your example via SMTP to myself, and both the subject line and
> the sender’s name are displayed correctly, cf. attachments:
> - Barrio-Imp.png (Imp 4.1.3)
> - Barrio-Thunderbird.png (Thunderbird 2.0.0.12)
>
> Next steps:
> - Do you use stable Horde, and Imp releases?
>   Try: <https://your.Imp-server/test.php>;
>   cf. <http://www.horde.org/horde/> and <http://www.horde.org/imp/>,
>   click on “Stable Releases”, in both pages.
> - Is the iconv program on your Imp server working alright?
>   Cf. <http://www.horde.org/horde/docs/?f=INSTALL.html#prerequisites>.
> - Re “via”: What is your GI-TI server trying to say in the From line,
>   and in which encoding?
>
> Best wishes,
>   Otto Stolz

Pablo Guaza Peces
Tecnologías de la Información
Unidad Técnica de Infraestructuras de Equipos Centrales
http://rincon.uam.es/cgi-bin/v2/dir.cgi?cw=658050537109375