[imp] mac os classic browsers that support horde 3.2 / imp 4.2

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed May 14 22:28:36 UTC 2008

> Zitat von liamr at umich.edu:
>
>> Does anyone know of any MacOS "Classic" (i.e. MacOS <= 9) that will
>> work with the upcoming releases of Horde and IMP?
>>
>> Unsurprisingly Netscape 4, IE 5.0 / 5.5 don't work.
>> iCab 3.0.5 doesn't appear to work.
>>
>> We found Netscape 7 for MacOS Classis is still available and appears
>> to work..
>>
>>      http://browser.netscape.com/releases
>>
>> (The MacOS 9 version is labeled "Mac PowerPC")
>>
>> A side note - Safari 1.x on OSX < 10.4.2 doesn't work.  We think that
>> Safari 2 works, but you need to be running at least 10.4.2 to use it.
>>
>> Perhaps browsers that are known not to work should be turned away at
>> the door?
>
> What do you consider "not working"? Granted, the pages will look ugly
> in old browsers, and none of the newer javascripts will work, but the
> basic functionality should be there. Though I personally don't care if
> it didn't, just being curious.

It would be great to auto-detect browsers (especially for dimp) and
inform the user if their browser doesn't meet the necessary
requirements and/or redirect to the appropriate imp mode (all browsers
should be able to fall back to mimp).  But this sounds like the sort
of feature that needs to be sponsored by a large organization since,
quite honestly, they are the only ones who really need to have this
level of support.

michael