[imp] Webmail 1.1 configuration after initial install

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu May 29 16:33:39 UTC 2008

Quoting Harkin Banks <harkinbanks83 at gmail.com>:

> Just trying to get started here.  I installed
> horde-webmail-1.1.tar.gz.  There are various references to an
> adminstrative area in the docs and a suggestion to go to
> http://servername/horde/ to access it.  I specified the username
> 'admin' as the "mail user who should have adminstrator permissions"
> in part 3 of the setup.  I have attempted to log in as admin with no
> password (since i wasn't prompted for one during the setup) and that
> didn't work.  I tried to add the user to the webmail database as
> follows:
> INSERT INTO horde_users (user_uid, user_pass) VALUES ('admin', 'password');
> However, attempting to log in with this username and password also
> gets me a "Login failed".  I also checked
> /var/www/horde-webmail/config/conf.php to see if 'admin' was in the
> array that specifies which users are admins, and 'admin' was indeed
> in the array.
> So, I'm not sure how to get into this "administrator area".
> Sorry if this is a super horde newbie question, but any help is very
> much appreciated.
> Thank you.
> --

Well, if your using the webmail edition, you are more than likely
using IMAP authentication. The username you choose needs to be an
existing user on the mail server that webmail is connecting to.  The
horde_users table is not used if you are authenticating against an
IMAP/POP server...only for SQL authentication.

Edit the conf.php file and add an existing email user to the admins array.