[imp] more address book expansion - comma separated lists of aliases and impatient users

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Jun 3 15:32:35 UTC 2008

Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr at umich.edu>:

> You type in a list of nicknames from your personal address, comma
> separated, and it tab out of the field.  You don't wait for the
> spinner to spin or any suggestions to appear.  You just type in the
> comma separated list and leave the field.
>
> Rather than looking everything up, it tacks the default domain name on
> to each of the bare words when you hit send. This results in mail
> going to places you didn't intend.  4.1 would replace things where it
> could when you tabbed out of the field.
>
> I'm not sure how this should be handled.  In cases where there an
> exact match, I think it should just replace the address.   What should
> it do in the case of multiple matches? Maybe something like the
> interactive spell check pop-ups?

I agree. Apparently it's a pain to implement with the scriptaculous
autocompleter. So we probably have to write a custom autocompleter -
not great, but not horrible. Sponsorship or a javascript ace's time
would be very helpful in doing this; at the least, please create an
enhancement request to track this.

Thanks,
-chuck