[imp] IMP 4.2 (RC4) / Mail.app interaction - changes made in mail.app not reflected in imp

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Thu Jun 5 20:02:35 UTC 2008

We're getting reports from our helpdesk that changes made in OSX
Mail.app (deleting messages, refiling them, changing flags) don't get
reflected in IMP.
I can't replicate it, and I've asked the consultants who can for more
details (browser, version of OSX, whether they're using Mail.app and
IMP simultaneously, etc) and hopefully a guide on how to replicate the
issue.

I'm guessing it's some weird IMP message cache vs Mail.app message
cache conflict.

We're using 4.2RC4.

Has anyone else seen something like this?

Liam

messages from the help desk follow....
---------------

     The problem is that when he makes changes in Apple Mail (IMAP), such as
     deleting a message, changing the read/unread flag or moving a message
     from Inbox to an IMAP folder, the changes are not reflected in web-mail.
     I replicated the behavior. I tried Apple Mail's Synchronize IMAP Mailboxes
     function and tried refreshing web-mail, but the changes I made in Apple
     Mail were not reflected in web-mail.

     I had a customer call today who complained that, since last week's
     upgrade, even though he deletes mail while in Apple mail client,
     deleted messages show up as unread mail the next time he accesses
     webmail.

     I confirmed this with my own account.

     I was able to determine that, if he tells the mail.app to erase
     deleted messages, they will indeed no longer be seen when he goes
     into webmail.