[imp] IMP 4.2 (RC4) / Mail.app interaction - changes made in mail.app not reflected in imp

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Fri Jun 6 01:07:16 UTC 2008

>> I'm guessing it's some weird IMP message cache vs Mail.app message
>> cache conflict.
>>
>> We're using 4.2RC4.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen something like this?
>
> Yeah, sure. You can turn of IMP's messagecache, but performance will suffer.

Ok, I'm thinking outloud here...

So here's what I think happens...

Mail.app and IMP both cache email messages and mail indexes from the
folders.  I'm going to guess that the problem is most likely to
manifest if you're using both clients at the same time.  I'd expect it
to, in fact.

It /shouldn't/ if you're using one client and the other one is closed.
Though, I wonder if it might if you...
- use IMP, close your browser window (don't log out)
- use Mail.app, delete some stuff.. quit
- use IMP again, in the same browser

If you haven't actually logged out of IMP, or quit your browser,
you'll probably still have an active IMP session  (one clue would be
if you opened a new browser window, accessed IMP, and it didn't tell
you the last time you logged in).  So.. I wonder if you access IMP
again using what it considers to still be an active session, if maybe
it's not updating the cache like it should?

Does IMP reconcile the cached version of the mailbox with what's on
the server when a new session is created?

Liam