[imp] hide messages marked for deletion or purge deleted messages

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Jul 18 15:47:40 UTC 2008

Quoting Chris Lafty <clafty at stlawu.edu>:

> In Thunderbird:
> Delete a message --> copies the message to trash --> marks the
> original message for deletion and hides it.  Gets expunged at some
> point.
>
> In IMP (our config):
> Delete a message --> copies the message to trash --> removes the

I realized I am biased, but our way of doing this seems to make a
whole lot more sense than Thunderbird's way.  Move message to Trash
when deleted means just that - when I click move I want that message
to be gone forever from the mailbox I am deleting from.  This needs to
be an atomic operation, not a lazy operation.

> Both scenarios are fine.  It's a problem when the person logs onto
> imp and sees messages marked for deletion from Thunderbird.  It is
> much easier to make changes on a server than 1,000 client machines.
> Unfortunately, Thunderbird isn't controlled by Active Directory.  I
> just don't see why IMP ever has to show messages that have been
> marked for deletion if it copies them to the trash..  But I'm
> probably not going to win this argument, so I just want to know why
> the new version doesn't expunge the entire mailbox when you delete a
> message that has already been marked for deletion.

Because you would be making an *extremely* ill-advised assumption.  If
you set "move messages to Trash" option in IMP, that literally means
"move any message I delete using the IMP interface to the Trash".  You
apparently want that to mean instead "move any message I delete using
the IMP interface, along with messages that I may/many not know are
deleted, and may not even appear in my current view, to the Trash."
But that's not what IMP's option says it is going to do.

Deleting *any* message is the most destructive operation possible with
IMAP, so you need to make especially sure that you are 100% sure the
user wants to delete.  If you are only 99% sure the user wants to
delete those messages, you simply can't do it.  Those are just the
facts of life (and UI design).

michael