[imp] Development of external User Admin script for Horde / IMP.

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri Aug 15 16:47:15 UTC 2008

Quoting "Colin C. Woods (eFinity)" <colin at myefinity.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this list, but I am very excited about my Horde installation. I
> recently installed Horde Webmail Edition 1.1.1 onto my webserver. However, I
> run a membership-based website on a completely separate server, and want to
> give my users the ability to use webmail (Horde / IMP). Therefore, I would
> like to have the ability to call upon a PHP script that would automatically
> maintain user accounts on my Horde Webmail server.
>
> The admin PHP script should do the following:
>
> -- Add a user account (username and full name)
>
> -- Delete a user account
>
> -- Suspend a user account
>
> Furthermore, the script should be in a command-line, URL-based format, such
> as:
>
> http://www.example.com/admin/utils/horde_admin_script.php?adduser=joe?passwo
> rd=sample?FullName=JoeBaker
>
> to delete a user would be something like:
>
> http://www.example.com/admin/utils/horde_admin_script.php?deluser=joe?passwo
> rd=sample?FullName=JoeBaker

This is an incredibly bad idea...

You would be much better off using your existing website's user data
as an authentication backend to Horde. This would be fairly easy if
it's SQL based, and the SQL server is reachable over the network. You
could then use either whatever your using now to maintain the members,
or even possibly use Horde as the interface to your user maintenance.

> I also need to have the script report back to the site with an error
> condition depending on whether or not the user add failed or not.
>
> I don't care too much about security, as I would hide this script deep
> within a complex directory structure. I simply need this script in order to
> achieve API calls from my other website whenever a new user registers, or an
> old user becomes invalidated.

Well, if you insist on going down this type of route, I would suggest
a custom api method in horde's existing API that can be called via
jsonrpc, xmlrpc etc...to achieve what you want.