[imp] disposition notification reg.

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 18 15:51:44 UTC 2008

Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:

>> Whenever I get a message with a read-request, I am prompted for sending
>> disposition notification.

Sounds great!

>> So, the disposition notification is sent
>> only if I wish.

Yes, indeed!

>> Is there any specific reason why I am prompted?  Can

Because the option is set that way for you.  And, in more general terms,
since many people feel that read receipts and such are an invasion of
privacy, and shouldn't be done automatically without their consent.  And
because it stops, say a spam/malware writer from getting confirmations
that your email is valid.

>> it be not sent automatically when a mail is opened.

I think so.  In IMP, select options, then Message Viewing, and at the bottom
uncheck the option for "Prompt to send read receipt when requested by the
sender?"  See iu that does what you want.

>> Is there a
>> configuration to achieve it?

Yes, so to speak (it is a user preference, not a configuration item per se,
though you can/do configure preferences also, so it is really about
definitions).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.