[imp] delete emails directly and permanently

Graeme Wood Graeme.Wood at ed.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 07:21:27 UTC 2008

Different IMAP servers will implement quotas and message deletions
differently,
as they implement how they store mailboxes differently and how they
implement
quotas. If you are using University of Washington IMAP on Unix using
Unix
quotas, for example, you will always need to have extra quota to allow
the
mailbox to be copied to a temporary file when deleting messages. If you
are using Cyrus IMAP, which implements its own quotas and a file per
message, you
won't need to have spare quota to delete messages. So if people running
out of quota is a problem for you, you should use an IMAP server that
will allow message deletions in that situation. It sounds like you have
an inappropriate IMAP server for your user requirements.