[imp] delete emails directly and permanently

Khanh Truong k11h12anh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:10:33 UTC 2008

> It won't matter. Several people have already told you that the ability
> of a mail client
> to delete messages on the server when you have run out of quota has
> NOTHING to do with
> the client. It is how the server handles deletion of messages. You
> need to fix your
> SERVER not the client. The client doesn't delete messages. The server
> does. If the
> server can't delete a message when a user is over quota it won't make
> a blind
> bit of difference having a button on your client that says 'Delete
> immediately'.

I have to disagree with you because you seemed to have not understood the
problem. The problem here is that the client DOES NOT delete the messages
but rather, it tries to COPY them to the Trash THEN delete from the Inbox.
Of course this will not work because the quota is reached and that is why
you get an error. What the client needs to do is copy the messages to a
temporary memory, DELETE first the messages so that usage of the quota is
down, THEN, copy the messages from memory to the Trash. SO the real issue
here is not that the server don't know how to delete (the server CAN delete
if the client tells it to), it is the client that is not deleting but
copying to the Trash that overfills the quota.

Please read carefully. I hope this makes sense.

Ken