[imp] HTTPMail

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Sep 4 20:34:17 UTC 2008

> HTTPMail is actually WebDAV, so there is nothing proprietary about
> it. And I think what he means is using IMP as a server, not as a
> client.

Not anymore.  The successor to HTTPMail (used by Windows Live Mail)
apparently uses encryption in at least a portion of the protocol (see
http://blog.danielparnell.com/?p=54).  This protocol feature, along
with the fact that Microsoft is fairly consistent about preventing
outside access to the servers (I'm pretty sure it's in the website
license), makes a pretty strong D.M.C.A. violation, at least according
to the way many courts have ruled in similar cases.

michael