[imp] open attachments with different applications

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Nov 8 17:14:26 UTC 2008

Zitat von Andreas Moroder <andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it>:

> Hello,
>
> please read the whole posting, even if in the first lines it looks
> like a posting to the wrong list.
>
> in our public hospital most users use IMP as mail client. Most of
> them have also Openoffice on their pc. Often they get .DOC files
> they only need to read and not to edit. The problem is, that OOO not
> allways displays the doc files the right way. Now I think this could
> be solved in part with IMP.
>
> Would it be possible to add to the list of attachments a "virtual"
> attachment for doc files that have another extension ( docv ) with a
> text or icon that explains that it is read only ?
> This way we could install the ms-office viewer on the PCs an
> configure it the way that ooo opens on .doc files while the viewer
> opens on .docv
> The same for .xls and .ppt.

This is not possible, because the behavior doesn't depend on the file
extension, but on the attachments mime type. But you can create a new
mime type for docv files on each PC and associate it with the MS
viewer, at least on Windows. This mime type is used when attaching
files with IMP, and will also be sent to the browser when downloading
those attachments.
On Linux (and probably Mac), it's a bit more complex since the mime
type is not determined by the file extension, but by mime magic.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/