[imp] Fwd: Authentication for a mail service

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Tue Jan 27 11:06:17 UTC 2009

> In my settings of mail server, I use self signed certificate (
> /etc/imapd.conf ).
> When I try to login to horde webmail, it returns me back to login page.
> Therefore I use horde/imp/test.php. After input my login data, I get this:
> * Trying protocol imap/notls, Port 143:  SUCCESS
> * Trying protocol imap/ssl, Port 993: ERROR
>   Certificate failure for localhost: self signed certificate in
> certificate chain: /data of certificate authority(O,OU,CN...)/

It looks like you didn't import the root CA you used for creating your
self-signed certificate into the list of trusted CA's (typically found
in /etc/ssl/certs, depending on the distribution you're using). This
needs to be done on both the server running IMAP and the server
running Horde IMP (if these are on different systems).

> * Trying protocol imap/ssl/novalidate-cert, Port 993:  SUCCESS
> * Trying protocol imap/tls/novalidate-cert, Port 143:  SUCCESS
>
> I don't give the file with certificate autorithy to horde, because I
> don't know it is possible or necessary.
> How can I solve this problem, please?

Make sure that the root CA you used is trusted. You can verify this by running

     openssl s_client -connect imap.example.com:993
     openssl s_client -connect imap.example:143 -starttls imap

Note that you should be running the above commands from the system
running Horde to the system running IMAP.

Best regards, Arjen