[imp] dash in address-name -> bug in imp?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Feb 27 17:53:56 UTC 2009

Quoting Peter Meier <peter.meier at immerda.ch>:

> Hi
>
> if I receive emails with the following from field:
>
> From: foo:bar <foo at bar.com>

This is invalid.  foo:bar is the "display-name" (RFC 2822 [3.4]) which
is defined as a phrase.  A phrase is 1*word (RFC 2822 [3.2.6]).  A
word is either an atom or a quoted-string (RFC 2822 [3.2.6]).  An atom
does not include ":" (see RFC 2822 [3.2.4]).  Therefore, the word must
be quoted.

> the sender gets shown as Invalid Address.
>
> I wondered if this is a bug in imp or the sending mailer
> (thunderbird). If the sender places brackets around the name I receive
> the following, which get's displayed correctly:
>
> From: "foo:bar" <foo at bar.com>
>
> I was unsure whether to file a bug report against imp or thunderbird.

IMP is correct - it is an invalid address.

michael