[imp] [DIMP] Display of characters whith accents

Deja3 User deja3-user at bitrealm.com
Fri Feb 27 18:32:08 UTC 2009

I was struggling with this same problem on Fedora and have finally found the error in my ways.

In my horde/config/prefs.php, I had attempted a long time ago at removing the Language selection for the main login screen.  In doing so, I had this:

$_prefs['language'] = array(
    'value' => 'American (English)',
    'locked' => true,
    'shared' => true,
    'type' => 'implicit',
    'escaped' => true,
    'desc' => _("Select your preferred language:")
);

Note the value option.  This was the friendly name, not the actual name used by horde.  In doing this, everything was working, but I was constantly getting the "This message was written in a character set (UTF-8) other than your own."  It would work just fine in IMP, but DIMP would be unable to display the characters in the preview pane, but could view them if you actually opened the message.   Change the value line to the correct language:

'value' => 'en_US',

fixes the problem entirely.  I made this change YEARS ago and never had an issue with it.  Interesting to me was that as I upgrade to different versions of php, the amount of text I saw would change.  IMP always worked, which made me wonder what was wrong with DIMP.

As I find typical of this mailing list:  user configuration error.