[imp] Undisplayed messages deleted - quick release of IMP 4.3.4 or patches?

Jie Gao J.Gao at isu.usyd.edu.au
Wed Mar 18 21:28:35 UTC 2009

* Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting John Murtari <jmurtari at thebook.com>:
>
> >Folks (Mike),
> >
> >     We were seeing the following with IMP 4.3.3:
> >
> >>        The problem we are seeing is this.  Starting with an empty
> >>cache, simple POP, no IMAP.  Login and check your INBOX.  You can
> >>read through all the messages fine.   Delete one of the messages,
> >>from then on any later message seems off-by-one, i.e. I see the
> >>correct subject as shown in the IMP summary display, but if I click
> >>to read the message, the body looks to be from the next message?
> >
> >     Mike Slusarz confirmed this was a known issue and a ticket/fix
> >was in for 4.3.4:  http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/8035
> >
> >     We just got a more severe error report that is also a side
> >effect of this, but the result is many unread messages can be deleted.
> >This would seem pretty severe and I hope a quick release of fixes
> >can be made.   The scenario is:
> >
> >     Assume a display setting of 10 messages, and 25 new message
> >in the INBOX.  The user sees the first 10, they are all SPAM,
> >chooses 'select' all and deletes them.  The screen then shows the
> >next 10 (but if you do a mouseover the links, you will see the
> >index count is off by 10). The total msg count is 15.  These 10
> >are also SPAM, he does a  'select all' and delete.
> >
> >     Instead of deleting those 10, IMP actually attempts to delete
> >messages 10-20 in the mailbox (which ends up deleting the last 5).
> >When the screen refreshes, the user still sees the 10 SPAM messages
> >and wonders what happened?  The total message count drops from 15
> >to 10 -- which confuses the user, and their email is gone.
>
> I don't see this.
>
> michael

One of our users, using POP, reported the following, which seems to
confirm the problem:

---
When the first email in the Inbox is deleted and the rest of the mail
items move up (3->2, 2->1) the headers are displayed correctly

(From:/Subject:) but when when the now first item is selected for viewing
the following (now 2nd was 3rd) is displayed.

(Actually the reading the n'th item displays the n+1'th item.)

After reading the wrong item and returning to the Inbox and reading the
first item again that item is correctly displayed.

Using 'Purge Deleted' before viewing the item seems to fix the problem.

This would appear to be an 'off by one' programming error.
---

Regards,

Jie