[imp] Undisplayed messages deleted - quick release of IMP 4.3.4 or patches?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Mar 19 07:18:36 UTC 2009

Quoting Jie Gao <J.Gao at isu.usyd.edu.au>:

> * Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
>
>> Quoting John Murtari <jmurtari at thebook.com>:
>>
>> >Folks (Mike),
>> >
>> >     We were seeing the following with IMP 4.3.3:

>> >     Mike Slusarz confirmed this was a known issue and a ticket/fix
>> >was in for 4.3.4:  http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/8035
>> >
>> >     We just got a more severe error report that is also a side
>> >effect of this, but the result is many unread messages can be deleted.
>> >This would seem pretty severe and I hope a quick release of fixes
>> >can be made.   The scenario is:
>> >
>> >     Assume a display setting of 10 messages, and 25 new message
>> >in the INBOX.  The user sees the first 10, they are all SPAM,
>> >chooses 'select' all and deletes them.  The screen then shows the
>> >next 10 (but if you do a mouseover the links, you will see the
>> >index count is off by 10). The total msg count is 15.  These 10
>> >are also SPAM, he does a  'select all' and delete.
>> >
>> >     Instead of deleting those 10, IMP actually attempts to delete
>> >messages 10-20 in the mailbox (which ends up deleting the last 5).
>> >When the screen refreshes, the user still sees the 10 SPAM messages
>> >and wonders what happened?  The total message count drops from 15
>> >to 10 -- which confuses the user, and their email is gone.
>>
>> I don't see this.
>>
>> michael
>
> One of our users, using POP, reported the following, which seems to
> confirm the problem:
>
> ---
> When the first email in the Inbox is deleted and the rest of the mail
> items move up (3->2, 2->1) the headers are displayed correctly
>
> (From:/Subject:) but when when the now first item is selected for viewing
> the following (now 2nd was 3rd) is displayed.
>
> (Actually the reading the n'th item displays the n+1'th item.)
>
> After reading the wrong item and returning to the Inbox and reading the
> first item again that item is correctly displayed.
>
> Using 'Purge Deleted' before viewing the item seems to fix the problem.
>
> This would appear to be an 'off by one' programming error.

And this is *exactly* the ticket that was referenced above.  In other
words, it has been fixed.

I said I don't see any of the problems listed after the ticket was
resolved.  At some point, John said he was still seeing some issues
(it may have been in another e-mail) that I can not reproduce anymore.

michael