[imp] Horde/IMP performance and system requirements (50k+ accounts)

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Fri Mar 20 12:23:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 10:33 +0100, LALOT Dominique wrote:
> 2009/3/20 Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi>
> > > Also, you'll have to look at mysql. For big databases, you need special
> > > tuning as default values are not good. We are in he way to put (for HA)
> > > another mysql server and we will split the access to several servers.
> > > (replica)
> >
> > There was a way to do that? I know that you can create an
> > active-passive replica system with MySQL, but didn't know that there's
> > an active-active option.
>

> Well, not exactly, you have to install a proxy if you just want to get one
> visible host in your setup. In recent version of horde, you can also split
> your sql. One server for writes, others for reading. I'm not very good for
> mysql setup. My colleague has spent more time on that subject. He will be
> back on monday.

Active/Active (or master/master instead of master/slave) MySQL
replication has been around for a while now.  You could also avoid the
proxy situation by using a simple round robin DNS.  Since it's
master/master it doesn't matter which one you connect to.  If you're
using persistent connections, then obviously that negates the round
robin DNS a bit.

I gotta throw my $.02 with alarms.php though. I don't have as many
concurrent logins, but I have just as many accounts - and it just
doesn't run good at all.

Rick