[imp] Horde/IMP performance and system requirements (50k+ accounts)

LALOT Dominique dom.lalot at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:47:40 UTC 2009

2009/3/20 Rick Romero <rick at havokmon.com>

> special
> HA)
> > >
> > > There was a way to do that? I know that you can create an
> > > active-passive replica system with MySQL, but didn't know that there's
> > > an active-active option.
> >

> > Well, not exactly, you have to install a proxy if you just want to get
> one
> > visible host in your setup. In recent version of horde, you can also
> split
> > your sql. One server for writes, others for reading. I'm not very good
> for
> > mysql setup. My colleague has spent more time on that subject. He will be
> > back on monday.
>
> Active/Active (or master/master instead of master/slave) MySQL
> replication has been around for a while now.  You could also avoid the
> proxy situation by using a simple round robin DNS.

In a load balancing context, you run a proxy on each serveur and I believe
that master/slave is a safer approach.

> Since it's
> master/master it doesn't matter which one you connect to.  If you're
> using persistent connections, then obviously that negates the round
> robin DNS a bit.
>
> I gotta throw my $.02 with alarms.php though. I don't have as many
> concurrent logins, but I have just as many accounts - and it just
> doesn't run good at all.

That's something like foreach users, is there alarms foreach applications.
That could have been one SQL select (it turns to be more than 10k selects),
but it probably breaks the backend structure. Anyway running each 5 minutes,
we can't stay with that behaviour on large configurations.

Dom

> Rick

Dominique LALOT
Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseaux