[imp] IMP performance and message display

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Fri Mar 20 12:33:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 07:39 -0400, John Murtari wrote:

>         I don't mean to rain on the Horde parade!  But hopefully
> the Horde development folks can look at the way these guys (Roundcube)
> handle message display and get some ideas.

It may or may not be the specific coding.  Horde is VERY modular, and
I've been able to easily add custom modules to my installation.  I also
run an older Roundcube beta as an alternative, and do agree that it's
faster.  The reason I run the older version is because I integrated it's
addressbook lookups with Horde.  Roundcube is a mess.  There are
hardcoded selects all over the place. The latest version seems to have
centralized that, but it's still all hard coded.

It's possible that reading and processing all the different php files
causes some of the slowness - maybe having an object oriented codebase
slows things down as well - but I'll take a little slowness to have the
modularity Horde has.

Another thing I stumbled across was that PHPs IMAP functions on a
Maildir folder cause all new/ mail to be moved to cur/ whether it's
actually read or not (Evolution and I think Thunderbird doesn't do
this).  If your backend mail server is moving a ton of files on scanning
in the INBOX, that could slow things down too.

Rick