[imp] Max attachment size

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Mar 25 17:15:34 UTC 2009

Quoting Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl>:

> memory_limit = 100M

[snip]

> But I still get this type of errors:
> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 104857600 bytes exhausted (tried to
> allocate 48525721 bytes) in /usr/share/horde3/lib/Horde/MIME/Part.php on
> line 1152
>
> What will be wrong?  48525721 is much less then 104857600...

Raise your memory limit.  PHP's internal string manipulation functions
are notorious memory hogs.  Understand that processing an attachment
may involve base64 encoding, VFS storage (one of the VFS storage
backends - possibly mysql - is extremely memory inefficient, resulting
in memory usage 3 or 4 times the size of the data to be stored), etc.

In all honesty, 100 megs is not all that much.  I can guarantee that
any desktop mail application routinely uses this amount of memory,

michael