[imp] Generating From headers with a catch-all email address?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Mar 31 14:51:59 UTC 2009

Zitat von Lloyd Zusman <ljz at asfast.com>:

> Jan Schneider <jan <at> horde.org> writes:
>

>> Zitat von Lloyd Zusman <ljz <at> asfast.com>:
>>
>> > [ ... ]
>> >
>> > In other words, even though I log in to "catchall <at> mydomain.tld", I
>> > want my reply to the mail addressed to random1 <at> mydomain.tld to have
>> > random1 <at> mydomain.tld in the "From" line, and likewise for
>> > random2 <at> mydomain.tld and random3 <at> mydomain.tld.
>> >
>> > I know that I can manually alter the "From" line for each of these
>>
>> No.
>>
>> Jan.
>
> OK. Thanks.
>
> This begs another question: what is the policy in the Horde world
> about accepting patches which add hook functionality? If I were
> to write a patch which provides for a hook that runs when a reply
> is being generated (perhaps called "imp_hook_prereply" or something
> like that), is this something that might be considered for inclusion
> into Horde?
>
> Or is there some sort of policy or convention that dictates that this
> kind of hook not be offered by Horde?
>
> The reason I'm asking is because with such a hook, I could then add
> the kind of functionality that I described above.

Any clean patch that makes some sense is at least considered. There is
no strict policy, patches are considered based on the code and their
purpose.

That being said, I could imagine that it makes sense to add this as a
core functionality, but that should be discussed first. I can see some
use for this, but how do you want to limit that functionality? You
don't want to let the users use *every* recipient address as their own
from: address when replying to a message. How about recipients in cc:?
Finally this is not going to be easy technically, because you need
visual feedback to the user about which address is going to be used as
the sender for the message they are writing. At the moment this is
completely encapsulated into the identities.

A hook that just rewrites the from address without feedback to, and
possible intervention of the user, would most probably be rejected.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/