[imp] Generating From headers with a catch-all email address?

Lloyd Zusman ljz at asfast.com
Wed Apr 1 00:54:36 UTC 2009

Jan Schneider <jan <at> horde.org> writes:

> [ ... ]
>
> Any clean patch that makes some sense is at least considered. There is
> no strict policy, patches are considered based on the code and their
> purpose.
>
> That being said, I could imagine that it makes sense to add this as a
> core functionality, but that should be discussed first. I can see some
> use for this, but how do you want to limit that functionality? You
> don't want to let the users use *every* recipient address as their own
> from: address when replying to a message. How about recipients in cc:?
> Finally this is not going to be easy technically, because you need
> visual feedback to the user about which address is going to be used as
> the sender for the message they are writing. At the moment this is
> completely encapsulated into the identities.
>
> A hook that just rewrites the from address without feedback to, and
> possible intervention of the user, would most probably be rejected.
>
> Jan.

Well, I'm just thinking of a generic hook that is run when a reply is
requested, but before the text is presented to the user. Let's say
this could be called "imp_hook_prereply". Just like for all the other
IMP hooks, the user could register whatever function he/she wants, and
this function would be invoked with arguments that supply enough
information so that the reply could be examined and modified before being
shown to the user.

In my case, I have a specific set of rules for modifying the "From"
address, and I would write my own hook function to do so, and I would
register it as the "imp_hook_prereply". Someone else might want to do
any number of other things to the text or headers of the reply before
it is presented to the user, and they would write their own hook function
to do so.

In other words, I don't want to write a specific From-header-changing
hook, but rather, a generic pre-reply hook for which any appropriate
functionality could be registered, just like what is done in the other
IMP hooks.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz at asfast.com