[imp] IMP does not mark the messages seen after the users reading them

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Apr 8 05:06:56 UTC 2009

Quoting Xristos Karvouneas <kalamata12 at hotmail.com>:

> Everything is fine when telneting to port 143 and reading mail
> directly from the server as well.

[snip]

>> Forgot to say im my previous post that the seen flag is set fine
>> when checking mail from Thunderbird so it could not be a server
>> issue.

What does either of these prove?  Thunderbird may be explicitly
flagging the message as Seen.

>> > So, you are telling me to test the behaviour of BincIMAP from the
>> command line and see if this is the case or not? I will do it and
>> report back. However, the same setting exactly worked fine on the
>> 64-bit version of Open Suse 11.0 (also, I think on some Wiki page
>> on horde, it is suggested that it could be due to a broken uw-imap
>> c-client library and you have to rebuild it - any pointers about
>> how this can be done would be greatly appreciated as well).

You will need to trace the IMAP traffic then (using something like
wireshark, imapproxy with logging enabled, or debug output in bincimap
if it supports it) to determine the exact IMAP commands sent to the
server.  It still seems very unlikely that this is an IMP issue since
thousands of people use IMP and nobody has reported this issue
previously.

I have no idea if the c-client library is causing this.  Instructions
on compiling the c-client library can be found in the PHP manual.

michael