[imp] IMP does not mark the messages seen after the users reading them

Xristos Karvouneas kalamata12 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 8 11:28:17 UTC 2009

ok, found that on SuSE lists and I think it is what I am talking about. I am quoting the conversation between a user and the author of BincIMAP:

<quote>
On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 20:32 +0100, Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> >Horde Imp (or the underlying PHP IMAP stuff) is breaking BincImap 1.2.13
> >by sending this command:
> >  0000000f UID STORE 1270 +Flags (\SEEN )
> >  * NO Expected flag after SPACE
> >What is the error about? Is it the trailing space after SEEN? Is this a
> >bug in PHP/IMP or Binc?
>
> The space is a client bug, not a Binc bug. :-)

Hmm, I've been and had a look at the RFC and it's not entirely clear to
me.

>From RFC2060 in section 9 "Formal Syntax":

        flag_list       ::= "(" #flag ")"

        flag            ::= "\Answered" / "\Flagged" / "\Deleted" /
                            "\Seen" / "\Draft" / flag_keyword / flag_extension

And also:

    The following syntax specification uses the augmented Backus-Naur
    Form (BNF) notation as specified in [RFC-822] with one exception; the
    delimiter used with the "#" construct is a single space (SPACE) and
    not one or more commas.

>From RFC822 in section 2.7 "#RULE: LISTS":

     A construct "#" is defined, similar to "*", as follows:

                              <l>#<m>element

     indicating at least <l> and at most <m> elements, each  separated
     by  one  or more commas (","). This makes the usual form of lists
     very easy; a rule such as '(element *("," element))' can be shown
     as  "1#element".   Wherever this construct is used, null elements
     are allowed, but do not  contribute  to  the  count  of  elements
     present.   That  is,  "(element),,(element)"  is  permitted,  but
     counts as only two elements.  Therefore, where at least one  ele-
     ment  is required, at least one non-null element must be present.
     Default values are 0 and infinity so that "#(element)" allows any
     number,  including  zero;  "1#element" requires at least one; and
     "1#2element" allows one or two.

So here it says that null elements are allowed but are ignored. Above it
said that the separator was a single space not one or more commas. So it
appears that (\SEEN ) could be valid because it only uses one space,
even if it does have a null element on the end. Or is there something
that clarifies this?

Cheers,

Martin.

You're referring to RFC2060, which was obsoleted in March 2003 by RFC3501.

flag-list       = "(" [flag *(SP flag)] ")"

Andy :-)

</quote>

Could you please have a look and let me know, as my knowledge about the internals of Horde and IMP is very limited?

Regards,

Christos