[imp] Deleted messages not moved to trash from client

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Thu Apr 9 00:09:58 UTC 2009

<quote>"given that I have selected the correct Webmail option (and set
the corresponding option in all my clients), why is it when a remote
IMAP client
(Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail) executes a "delete" command
and that command is
received by the IMAP server is it not translated into a "move" to the
trash folder
command?"</quote>

When any one of those remote IMAP clients connect what you have done
in WebMail has absolutely nothing to do with anything. WebMail is just
another "remote IMAP client" like Outlook (OK, maybe not like Outlook
LOL), etc. Just as Outlook not displaying anything correctly is not
the fault of your iPhone which does, neither is it the fault of Horde
or WebMail (Imp) which also does.

The commands that you have given to Imp to move to deleted items
folder when I delete a message just tells WebMail "when I delete a
message, tell the IMAP server to copy it to Deleted Items, and to then
purge it immediately from the original folder". Those commands are
being executed in your IMAP server, not Horde / Imp. Imp just knows to
send those commands.

Outlook does not have the capability to send those commands. In fact
it sucks as an IMAP client. :) All it will do is send the delete (and
the move? I can't remember), not the purge, although you can tell it
to purge on exit I believe.

So your issue lies with the clients that you are using not being able
to interface with IMAP in an intelligent manner. Thunderbird isn't too
bad I don't think from memory with IMAP... Imp / Dimp rocks though.
You can actually watch the process happen in Dimp as it deletes then
purges messages you hit delete for.

You cannot (I don't believe, maybe someone else can shed more light
here) tell IMAP to do that process on behalf of the client, as it is a
string of commands as noted above that has to come from a client that
knows which ones to send on your behalf. As far as I know, Gmail,
iPhone are able to send those, Outlook is not.

Just one terminology thing too - in IMAP, subfolders *are* separate
mailboxes, so Inbox is a different mailbox to "Inbox.Deleted items".
Hence why in IMAP when you tell your client to delete a message it
tells IMAP to copy the message to the folder that your client has been
told is where trash goes, then to delete and purge from the original
mailbox. When you tell it to empty Trash, it knows (cos you've told
it, or it's programmed to know) that Trash or Deleted Items, or
whatever it is called, is your trash, and when you want to delete from
there to do a straight delete and purge, not move to another folder
(mailbox).

Hope some of that makes sense... LOL.

Simon Wilson.

Quoting "E. John Messersmith III"

Well, I don't know what Gmail is doing either but the iPhone gets it right
in all cases and all clients get it right when using Gmail. I'm
not being angry here just very frustrated. I don't know how I can be any
clearer. It is either a configuration parameter of IMAP or Horde or both.

Webmail - which I think is also part of the Horde project - gets it right
too! So what is it doing? I go to Mail Options->Deleting and Moving
Messages and I simply
check the option "When deleting messages, move them to your Trash
folder instead of
marking them as deleted?" I select a message and click the Delete
link. No marking for
deletion; no counting; no nothing - just a simple move from one folder
to another -
everything is still in one Mailbox. So the "delete" command simply
gets translated (or is
made equivalent to) a "move" to the trash folder command. The client
doesn't have to do
anything. As long as the server moves the message to the trash folder
the new state is
simply reflected (updated) in the client. Why is this so difficult to
understand? Is
there something obvious I'm missing?

So my question remains: given that I have selected the correct Webmail