[imp] [OT] Re: Mod_env and mod_setenvif

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri May 15 21:46:28 UTC 2009

Quoting LALOT Dominique <dom.lalot at gmail.com>:

> 2009/5/8 Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>
>
>> Quoting lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:

>>> Not special for lighttpd but special by the sense not included in the
>>> distribution repository. Is it possible by the way to run a PHP-accelerator
>>> (APC) with lighttpd?
>>>

>> Yes, it absolutely is. Personally, I use xcache and (now that I'm on a much
>> more powerful, dedicated box), I also use xcache as a backend for Horde's
>> cache as well.
>>
>> I know there are a number of large scale horde installations that use
>> lighttpd, if anyone of those admins are listening...
>

> Well,
>
> I played around with lighttpd for a few weeks on our test machine, and
> looked at what lighttpd looks like. There was a miss: On our load balanced
> machines, we need also proxy_ajp.
> So I decided to put memcache for apache, mod_expire, get rid of unused
> modules, put xcache (debian supported), memcache for sessions.
>
> The speed difference from the user side was unoticeable. So I choose to keep
> on Apache. Our staff is much more efficient on Apache. If I go on hollidays,
> I prefer to think that somebody else could manage. And keeping both lighttpd
> and apache on the same machines was too complicated also.
> The only delay comes from imap side, but it has been improved in the next
> version, I've been told.

Hopefully someday, when I get around to it (ha!), I'll be able to
document my experience with lighty and Horde.  Having set up server
farms that need to handle thousands of connections per second, the
ultimate conclusion is that you are absolutely crazy to still be
running Apache + PHP.  A FastCGI based farm is easily 300%+ faster on
identical hardware, not to mention much easier to scale.

michael