[imp] [OT] Re: Mod_env and mod_setenvif

LALOT Dominique dom.lalot at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:27:26 UTC 2009

2009/5/8 Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>

> Quoting lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:
>
>  Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>>

>>> Using lighttpd with Horde doesn't require any extra or special PHP
>>> modules then using PHP with Apache does. The only difference is you need to
>>> run a fastcgi PHP instead of as a module (mod_php).  I don't have any hard
>>> performance numbers personally, other then the fact that when I was hosting
>>> my personal Horde install in a Virtuozzo VPS with no swap space, Horde was
>>> just about unusable with the amount of memory available to my VPS. Switching
>>> to lighttpd allowed it to work without any issues running with 256MB for the
>>> entire server, which ran the whole stack (mySQL, Postfix, Dovecot, etc...).
>>>

>> Not special for lighttpd but special by the sense not included in the
>> distribution repository. Is it possible by the way to run a PHP-accelerator
>> (APC) with lighttpd?
>>

> Yes, it absolutely is. Personally, I use xcache and (now that I'm on a much
> more powerful, dedicated box), I also use xcache as a backend for Horde's
> cache as well.
>
> I know there are a number of large scale horde installations that use
> lighttpd, if anyone of those admins are listening...

Well,

I played around with lighttpd for a few weeks on our test machine, and
looked at what lighttpd looks like. There was a miss: On our load balanced
machines, we need also proxy_ajp.
So I decided to put memcache for apache, mod_expire, get rid of unused
modules, put xcache (debian supported), memcache for sessions.

The speed difference from the user side was unoticeable. So I choose to keep
on Apache. Our staff is much more efficient on Apache. If I go on hollidays,
I prefer to think that somebody else could manage. And keeping both lighttpd
and apache on the same machines was too complicated also.
The only delay comes from imap side, but it has been improved in the next
version, I've been told.

Cheers

Dom

> Thanks,
> mike
>
> --
> The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
> mrubinsk at horde.org
>
> "Time just hates me. That's why it made me an adult." - Josh Joplin

Dominique LALOT
Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseaux
http://annuaire.univmed.fr/showuser.php?uid=lalot